Tuesday 13 July 2010

Fracture Clinic

Today was my fracture clinic appointment at 9.45am. My arm was feeling alot better, still didn't have the ability to straighten or bend it, but I did manage to get Sam ready for school. I thought about cancelling, but decided to go just so they could give me the all clear. I drove up to the hospital and then put my sling on for the first time since Friday, just so I didn't get told off, and also so I would actually look as though I was there for an appointment.

I didn't have too wait long to be called through. The doctor looked at my x-ray and said he needed a 2nd opinion and went off for a chat. I had decided he was going to send me home, but no, he told me I needed a CT scan to see if there was anymore damage and that I might need an operation :( He then decided to admit me to the orthopaedic ward as I would get a CT scan much quicker.

So a quick call to Julian to explain what was happening and to request an overnight bag and I went back in to start the admission paperwork.

They took my blood pressure and after about 5 attempts, it was really high 208/something - this caused quite an alarm i the department, and a message put in my notes that it needed checking 4 hourly and that if it didn't drop below 170 then the Dr was to be paged and I was to be given some medication.

I walked with the nurse up to Gately ward where they found me a bed in a side room with a lovely lady from Londonderry, I was so glad I wasn't on one of the main bays as it was quite an elderly ward and I was probably the youngest one there by about 40 years !

I got to the ward at about 11.15 and my CT scan was booked for 3pm. A porter came to get me with a wheelchair which he insisted I had to sit in and be pushed all the way to Radiology.
The results of the CT scan were not looked at by my doctor so I had to stay in overnight - still convinced I was wasting everybodies time & money.

No comments: