Friday 9 July 2010

A Broken Arm !

I took the car to the garage today to have the exhaust looked at as it was starting to become noisy.

They put it up on the ramps and had a look & fiddle then called me through to discuss the problem - after being told the catalytic converter probably needed replacing and that we had one bald front tyre - I turned round to return to the waiting room and ended up on the floor - SPLAT !  I landed on my hand - so dusted it off and rubbed my arm.

The manager was as surprised as I was to find my lying on the floor.  He led me to the washroom so I could wash my hand, we then went through to the waiting room - my arm felt sore but guess that was to be expected.  We then sat down and filled out an accident report form.

While waiting for the tyre to be replaced, my arm ached more but not unbearable.  When the car was ready I got in to drive and realised my arm was quite sore - I couldn't straighten it properly or bend it too far - I drove home, had a coffee and decided to make a doctors appointment at 3pm  - amazingly got one for 3.40pm.

Drove down to the Dr's carefully - mainly left handed. the Dr thought I had just sprained it, but thought it best to get an xray to rule out a fracture.

So a quick call to Julian to see if he could leave off early and meet me in Norwich to drive me to the hospital, a call to Ben to say where I was going - and then again I carefully drove to Norwich.

After registering at the A&E, seeing the triage nurse, then senior nurse, then x-ray, then back to senior nurse I found out I have a severely depressed fracture of the radial head (which is in the elbow joint), she gave me a sling and I made an appointment for Tuesday morning at the fracture clinic.

This isn't my x-ray - but looks similar, except mine is a slightly bigger bit of bone that has slipped down a bit further.



I tried to sleep in bed but couldn't find anywhere comfortable to put my arm so ended up sleeping in the reclining chair in the lounge.

No comments: